Justin Hurst | Director of Music & Liturgy
Justin Hurst spent ten years as an apprentice organist at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception from the ages of 12-22, now serving as a staff organist. As an aspiring church musician, he has been mentored by Mr. Stephen Obarski, Dr. Mario Pearson, and Sr. Claudette Schiratti, RSM.
After two years as the Director of Music for St. Gabriel’s Catholic Church in Kansas City, he was appointed the new Director of Music and Liturgy at Holy Spirit.
At Holy Spirit, we seek to praise our Lord through the Church’s vast expanse of music, by the singing of hymns and responses. Several music ensembles lead music for our Eucharistic celebrations. These ensembles frequently combine for special feasts, music concerts, and Holy Days. Below is a list and description of all the music program opportunities.
Organists & Accompanists:
- Justin Hurst, principal organist
- Geri Watts, staff accompanist
- Carol Schmidt, staff accompanist
- Dr. Sarah Lyons, staff organist
ADDITIONAL MUSICIANS ARE NEEDED!
Holy Spirit Music Ministry is in need of recruiting members for the following opportunities in music ministry; please contact Justin for more information:
Cantor Ministry (especially male vocalists)
Parish Choir (especially Basses)
Contemporary Ensemble (vocalists, guitarist, bassist)
Opportunities in Music Ministry
All are invited to join an area of music ministry! At Holy Spirit we have these current opportunities:
- Cantor Ministry – Women and men of high school age and older are invited to participate in the cantor ministry. Cantors are scheduled an average of one or two times each month based on availability. An audition with the music director is requested.
- Holy Spirit Parish Choir – Holy Spirit Parish Choir sings weekly on Sundays at 10:30 am Mass throughout the year, occasionally at the 8:30 am Mass and 5pm Mass, as well as for special parish liturgies. The choir takes June-August off. New members are always welcome AND needed! The ability to read music is a plus but is not required! Practices are held on Thursdays in the sanctuary from 7-8 pm.
- “Celebration” Choir – For those whose schedule doesn’t allow for regular choir involvement, the opportunity to sing with the choir for Christmas Eve, Holy Week/Easter Triduum, or both, could be a good fit! Contact the music director for more information about this option.
- Powers of Heaven Chorus – This choir is open to children from the 3rd to 8th grades. They sing for the beginning and end of the school year Masses, the Christmas Play during Advent, and the 5:30 pm Mass on Christmas Eve. To get your child involved, please contact the director of music.
- Holy Spirit Contemporary Ensemble – This is a new ensemble comprised of youth singers that leads the music for the 10:30am Mass on the 4th Sunday of each month.
- Accompanists – Organists and pianists are invited to play for our liturgies as their schedule allows. An audition is requested.
- Instrumentalists – Instrumentalists are invited to play during the liturgy as their schedule allows, especially for Christmas, the Easter Triduum, and Easter Sunday. An audition is requested.
Contact Justin if you are interested in participating in the music ministry or for more information about the music program at Holy Spirit.
Please consider supporting Holy Spirit’s Music Program!
Send your gift to:
Holy Spirit Catholic Church
1800 SW State Route 150
Lee’s Summit, MO 64082
Please indicate “Music Ministry Gift/Donation” in the memo line.