About Holy Spirit’s Music Program
Justin Hurst, Director of Music
Justin Hurst has been an apprentice organist at the Cathedral since the age of 12. As an aspiring church musician, he was mentored by Stephen Obarski, Dr. Mario Pearson, and Sr. Claudette Schiratti. After two years as the Director of Music for St. Gabriel’s Catholic Church in Kansas City, he was appointed the new Director of Music at Holy Spirit. He is also a pre-medical biology and chemistry student at the University of Central Missouri.
Organists & Accompanists:
- Justin Hurst, principal organist
- Geri Watts, staff accompanist
Mission Statement & Information:
The primary focus of Holy Spirit’s music program is to enrich the Eucharistic liturgy by uplifting hearts and minds through the Church’s vast expanse of music, by the singing of hymns and responses. There are several music ensembles that lead music for our Eucharistic celebrations. These ensembles frequently combine for special feasts, music concerts, and Holy Days. Below is a list and description of all the music program opportunities.
- Cantor Program – Women and men of high school age and older are invited to participate in the cantor ministry. Singers with strong music skills are needed to lead the community’s sung prayer during our celebration. Cantors are scheduled an average of one or two times each month based on their availability. Audition is requested.
- 8:30am Choir – The 8:30am choir currently sings for the last two Sundays of the month, taking the summer months off. Choir practice for this group is on the Wednesday’s before the last two Sundays from 7pm-9pm.
- 10:30am Choir – The 10:30am choir sings weekly on Sundays throughout the year, taking the summer months off. Choir practice for this group is weekly on Thursdays from 7pm-9pm.
- Children’s Choir – The children’s choir is open to children in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades. They currently sing for the Parish Family Mass at the beginning of the school year, the Christmas Play during Advent, the 5:30pm Mass on Christmas Eve, and the Shadow Stations of the Cross on a Friday towards the end of lent.
- Instrumentalists – Instrumentalists are invited to play during the liturgy as their schedule allows, especially for Christmas, the Easter Triduum, and Easter Sunday. An audition is requested.
Contact the director of music if you are interested in participating in the music ministry, or for more information about the music program at Holy Spirit.
Please consider supporting Holy Spirit’s Music Program
Send your gift to:
Holy Spirit Catholic Church
1800 SW State Route 150
Lee’s Summit, MO 64082
Please indicate “Music Ministry Gift/Donation” in the memo line.